It’s highly affordable. It’s highly popular. But is online college worth it?
If you are reading this article, then you have probably learned about online colleges from a friend or some other source. And now, you are doing your own research about earning your college degree online. But you have your doubts. Your not sure if an online degree is worth the time and money you’ll put into it.
Today, we will answer this question for you, and give you an overview of what online colleges are and how you can earn your degree online. Read on to find out whether or not you should spend your time studying a course online.
Should You Apply To Online College?
We’d be the first ones to tell you that an online college course is not for everyone. If you can afford (time and financial-wise) to go to a traditional college, that very well may be a better option for you.
However, online colleges are a great option if you are one of the following:
- Have a full-time or part-time job
- Travel often
- Live in a remote area or you have limited mobility
- You are great at time management and self-motivation
- Your preferred field of study doesn’t require a lot of hands-on training
- You don’t have the time and resources to travel daily
- You have a family to take care of
An online college degree is far more affordable than a traditional college if you pick the right course and the right school. For this, you can check out our article about Online College Costs.
If you relate to the factors we mentioned above, then an online college is a great choice. It helps you manage your time between studies and other obligations.
Avoid the Scams
With that said, you need to do your research and take your time looking into online colleges. You need to be careful of scams. And, as we know, there are plenty of scams on the internet!
When you are looking at colleges online, be sure to check every detail to avoid getting scammed. Be sure to check for red flags such as:
- Offering bachelor’s degree within months
- Asking for tuition on a per-degree basis.
- Illegitimate accreditations
- Unrecognized credentials from the Department of Education
- The address of the college is a P.O. Box and not an actual university
Is Online College Worth It?
Yes, online colleges can definitely be worth it. You can earn a legitimate college degree that you can use for your dream job or dream business. And online colleges give you a way to work towards your dreams at a lower cost and more flexibility than a traditional college degree.
More About Online Colleges
This article is part of our guide on how to be a successful online college student.
Check out the next topic in the series: Can I transfer my online college credits to a University?