Alert is a Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Magazine committed to reducing the abuse of drugs and alcohol through education efforts in our high schools.
Alert Magazine Scholarship
With each issue of Alert Magazine, a $500 college scholarship is awarded to the author of the best drug and/or alcohol abuse-related essay submitted from that state/region.
Speaking out against the risks of drug and alcohol usage can help others become more aware. All qualifying high school seniors may enter the Alert college scholarship essay contest (see requirements below).
- You must currently be a high school senior.
- You must attend high school in Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, or Wyoming.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.5 is required.
- You must intend to attend college after high school (the college you will attend can be located in any state).
- Write an essay describing a personal encounter with drug and/or alcohol abuse that you or someone you know has had. Explain in your essay how the situation was handled, what you learned from it, what others can learn from the experience, and what was right or wrong (in your perspective) about how the incident or problem was dealt with. Scholarship essays are evaluated using the same criteria as essays submitted for high school English classes: thesis statement, supporting content, grammar, etc.
- The required word count for essays is between 650 and 800, and they must be typed with double spacing.
- Include an official copy of your high school transcripts with your essay.
- Additionally, essays must include a recent photo. Please send a high-quality color photograph of the scholarship winners for inclusion in the publication with their winning essays (no blurry printouts).
- There is no application and no deadline, but to be considered, you must meet the qualifying conditions and submit all of the items stated above.
|Alert Magazine Scholarship FAQs||Answers|
|What is the amount of the scholarship||$500|
|How many scholarships are||Not Specified|
|When is the application deadline?||N/A|
|Do you have to attend a specific school to get the scholarship?||No|